Notes from supervisor:
- The general idea is very good
- Would probably consider just using 2 case studies
- Starting point – children’s education and museums – literature search
- If you plan on talking to the education staff at any institutions will need an ethics approval – good to start this now
Today’s literature search terms:
- “children’s education and museums”
- “children’s education and galleries”
Databases consulted (accessed via ANU):
- Wiley Online Library
- Project Muse
- Art Full Text (H.W. Wilson Online)
Notes for remembering later:
Today I received what has been dubbed the “Nerdiest. Package. Ever.” from my uni library services. Volumes one and two of Marcie Muir’s A Bibliography of Australian Children’s Books (1970 & 1976). Best use of my (compulsory but deferrable) student fees as an off-campus student. (And yes, yes I do intend to use and abuse this service for my thesis – suckahs shoulda neva let me know about it!)
Source: Me via Instagram
Today has also seen me:
- Wake up at 7.09am (when the ooolllddd alarm on my even older phone went off – woops!)
- Eat a crumpet for breakfast and wuffle with Charlie dog before…
- Going next door to clean the holiday rental (and subsequently find a bunch of minor maintenance issues)
- Writing some intro and planning points for my (mock) exhibition catalogue essay before…
- Heading to the post office to check the mail and receive the “Best. Package. Ever.”
- Subsequent reading of newly acquired books ensued
- Followed by a brief mental break to watch the first episode of Dance Academy season two via iView
Me via Instagram
- Before my landlord appeared at my front door bearing a scanner for me to borrow (for which I had asked for in an email I sent her less than an hour previously!)
- And now it is 1716 and I am all done with reading my books (but possibly still have some articles that need reading, I’ll have to check my Mendeley!) and need to hit the clickety-clackety of writing this essay before the thoughts all leave my head.
On a side note, today also saw me chatting with the NLA (@nlagovau) via Twitter about my research and people to contact in regard to it. Score one for social networking!
Cleaned the bathroom
Had a nap
Read five articles
I spent about three to four hours this afternoon doing some ‘starter’ research for my exhibition package’s catalogue (my summer school project). It’s making me feel like maybe I want to change the direction of my (potential) thesis! And I’d love too include an exhibition proposal/plan within my thesis 🙂
Still Reading Picture Books: highlights from the Marcie Muir Collection of the National Library of Australia.
I’m looking into Muir’s collecting policies and practices, and how these are reflected in her collection (which is now held by the NLA).