I spent approximately five-and-a-half years in Canberra (uni, working, uni) and not once did I hear about death cap mushrooms. Now I turn on the news and hear that two people have died after they were collected in the ACT and served at a NYE dinner. The doctor speaking on behalf of the Calvary Hospital stated that the existence of death cap mushrooms in Canberra is common knowledge in the region — but I have never heard of them before. Clearly not the best public awareness program has been instigated in the ACT.
Death Cap (Amanita phalloides)